Visual Astronomy - Moon Girls - JCSA & PA
Our most popular visual astronomy program is back! Girl Scouts will learn why our view of the moon changes from day to day and why there are dark spots on the moon. We will demonstrate how lunar craters form and how the changing light on the moon affects our view of those craters. We have a collection of rocks from Earth that are similar to moon rocks that we can touch and examine with hand lenses and microscopes. Girls will learn to use a telescope and can have the experience of "flying" over the moon's surface like an astronaut. Depending on how bright the moon is, we will see constellations and tell stories about them!
Astronomy-trained PAs: This event is for you, too! Come increase your astronomy knowledge and have some fun helping younger Girl Scouts discover the mysteries of the sky above! We’ll see you out there!
* Fun patch included for PAs and all registered Girl Scouts
* This event is for 2018 registered and trained PA’s, 2018 registered Girl Scouts and approved adult volunteers.
* Please select which level you are during registration.
* For safety and supervision reasons, troops and individuals are not permitted to bring non-Girl Scouts or siblings.
* Girl/adult ratios must be followed unless otherwise indicated in the program description. *Adults are expected to stay on the premises and in some cases, help girls during the event.
* Telescopic viewing is weather permitting.
* Please dress to be outside during the program. The location can become windy and cool at times.
* We encourage adults to participate in the fun with us!
Cost: $7/girl, $7/adult, no fee for PAs
Contact: Brittany McCallister, (904) 389-3071, firstname.lastname@example.org
Register by Oct. 13 at noon